About a month ago, I finished up a nightgown for Veronica. Unfortunately, it was just in time for the summer-like weather we had. In recent days it has cooled off quite a bit, especially at night. It is the perfect weather for a flannel nightgown.
Archive for the ‘Sewing’ Category
Finally finished is one more nightgown, this time for Charlotte, and this time done in nice, sturdy flannel material. I am very pleased with the results. We took pictures the morning after Charlotte had worn it to bed. The girls were both so excited that they now both have nightgowns made by Mom. MaryEllen had to get into the pictures, of course! After we were done with the pictures, Charlotte said, “Let’s take our nightgowns, fold them, and put them under our pillows so we can wear them tomorrow!” If I had know that, I might have made them sooner. All their other PJs end up on their bedroom floor!
On the same day (I think), I was getting a red plaid dress for Veronica to wear. MaryEllen asked if she and Charlotte could wear the dresses that they had like Veronicas. So, we had to take pictures in their dresses.
We went on that day to try and take a picture for the Christmas card. If we do use any of them, they will be less than perfect. Someone always seems to have eyes closed, be making faces, or have their heads cut off. However, Christmas not being any farther away, we may just have to use one of those pictures for the cards.
Originally this night gown was being made for Charlotte. When I tried it on her to hem it, it was really too big. I made it a “Size 5” according to the pattern, but I don’t think it is true to size. I suppose this post could become a rant about sewing patterns. I am learning as I go. About 10 years ago I made 2 dresses and a blouse. Clothes sewing is not like quilting and these clothes patterns can be very difficult to follow. I measured the girls and their measurements were not even on the pattern envelope! Some people have told me that I need to measure the pattern itself. Perhaps I should be going to the thrift store or antique stores looking for patterns from the good ole’ days.
Recently the boys have asked me to teach them to sew. John is working on a doll dress for Charlotte’s doll. Kevin and I are starting work on dresses in identical patterns. His dress will be for MaryEllen and mine will before Charlotte. I am also working on a night gown for Charlotte and a dress pattern that I started years ago for MaryEllen, but Charlotte will end up with that, too, since they have both grown. Poor MaryEllen. In a way, I am so glad she finally got something made by me. She loves the night gown, but I still feel a little guilty because I used cheap, $1 a yard fabric from Wal-Mart for it. At least it looks pretty! When I am finished with Charlotte’s, I’ll make MaryEllen another using some nice flannel Angelina Ballerina fabric. Charlotte’s will be nice flannel Raggety Ann & Andy fabric. It is cute, not cheap (but I did get it on sale) and should last longer than that $1 a yard fabric. It certainly feels better. Perhaps I should be sewing instead of writing this scattered post!
Now, here are the pictures…